As the polls open for the European Parliament elections, three gender-equality ministers and state secretaries put feminism at the top of the electoral agenda.
Search Results for: SPAIN
Conventional wisdom is that the rise of the far-right populists is down to a popular cultural backlash. What’s really happened is they have broadened their support through a civic-nationalist narrative.
Any reform efforts must be as inclusive as possible towards central and eastern European states, where nationalist parties are gaining ground.
The president of the GUE/NGL group in the European Parliament reflects on her retirement at the forthcoming elections and on the battles to come.
Adam Tooze explains how a false exactitude in economics has led to a terrible politics in the EU.
The eurozone lacks the scaffolding to withstand the symmetrical shock of the next recession, which could imperil the euro itself. That the eurozone is incomplete is an assessment shared by almost all economists and economic policy-makers. The prevailing opinion is that the European banking union is the most important missing part, in connection with a […]
Eye-watering remuneration for chief executives is economically wasteful as well as socially divisive. Non-profits should pioneer compressed wage hierarchies. As Oxfam reports that the top 1 per cent of the world’s population now own more than the other 99 per cent, it’s time to think about how those at the top of the economic tree […]
The pluralist-left coalition—’contraption’ to its detractors—in Portugal has changed the political discourse. Change is less evident, however, on the ground. I was in a rush, running late to where I needed to be, which on 4th October 2015 was the electoral-results party of the Portuguese Bloco de Esquerda (Left Bloc), at Lisbon’s São Jorge cinema. […]
The European Parliament election campaign is entering full swing—a detailed analysis of the platforms of the main European party groups and what the political consequences might be for the EU over the next five years. In his speech at the December congress of the Party of European Socialists, Frans Timmermans, the current lead candidate for the […]
The historic achievement of peace within a Europe of universal norms is belied by the external instability engendered by violent and incoherent interventions. The European Union is justly admired for making war among its members impossible. This is no small achievement in a continent which was in a state of semi-permanent warfare for the past […]
The US president, Donald Trump, remains in a standoff with Congress over finance for his much-vaunted Mexico barrier. Europe has learned that border walls are neither a humane nor an effective response to human flow. President Trump has long called migration a security crisis, but in recent weeks he has also referred to the situation […]
Twenty years after the birth of the euro, the outlook is more uncertain than ever. With a waning economic upswing, unresolved problems are returning to the fore. This book focuses, alongside the euro area as a whole, on the four largest euro area countries — Germany, France, Italy and Spain. They comprise 75 percent of […]